Well we got the most rain I have ever seen in a few hours yesterday. (Thursday 12-11-08) The news said that Kahuku got about 5 inches and Punalu'u got about 12 inches of rain, so we are somewhere in between. Fortunately we just had the normal few leaks here and there. The pool on the other hand had problems it is going to take a long time to get it clear again. We woke up to the whole pool area/yard one big pool, The water was flowing down the Burroughs' driveway under the fence and right into the pool. Luckily the water did not get as high as the step, it slowly seeped under the house and down the cliff. I drained the pool for half an hour, so that the water level was down to the second tile. I came in the house got in warm clothes; about 20 minutes later Dad says the pool is over flowing. What again! This time I drained it for 45 minutes. And as you can see in the pictures the water level is up to the cement lip; and oh such an inviting color. On Wednesday the water was perfect blue. But we did not fare to badly compared to the village. Remember during the 40 days of rain, there were several houses that would get flooded every few days. Well all those houses plus a couple hundred more were flooded. People could not open their doors because the water level was up so high outside and about a foot deep inside. Some could have used slide doors but that would of just let more water in the house. The only way out was through the windows. What made things so much worse is some of the storm drains were clogged. As soon as they were able to find the clogs it only took a few minutes to unclog them, and within a couple of hours the water had receded. Leaving only a handful of houses still under water, the same ones that had flooding during the 40 days of rain. Today there are only a few houses still under water. On Moana street there are piles of carpet in front of every house. People made the decision for BYUH/HRI and tore out their own carpets. Upside for the BYUH renters they get all new flooring and kitchens. But so much money and time wasted if only the city had maintained the drainage system.
Dad left for work and was back home within an hour. Flooding and mud slides. He left about an hour later going north shore way and made it to work in about two hours. Janessa tried to get to class to take a final and could not get to the school, she could have walked through the water but did not want to go into an air conditioned building wet up to her waist. She found out today that her teacher cancelled the final. BYUH did not close, President Wheelwright said that the finals had to be taken because so many people were leaving for home. The question was how to get to the school? Janessa did come home and get in her swim suit and walked around town, and helped people and did a bit of beach cleanup. The boys downstairs got in their suits and went and helped sand bag.
I drove around to see if there was any way possible to get to BYUH. There was no way by car, or even by foot unless you were prepared to get wet. Every road that led to BYUH was flooded knee to waist deep. So if there is an evacuation HOW are we to get to the CAC? And if the water is so deep how can they open up the CAC? The roads to the temple were also flooded, but at least you could get somewhat close, much much closer than BYUH. So I am heading to temple hill if I ever need to. People were kayaking around, so I guess we should have a kayak. We have the two Kinghorn girls staying with us, until they can sleep in their house. There were two shelters set up one in the old gym at BYUH and the other at BYUH stake center. There have been so many emergencies since moving here, I have no extra blankets to take. Guess I will have to get new ones so I can give the old ones away next time. Or I can go to thrift stores and buy some and wash them up and have them on hand. But new for us sounds nice.
Dad left for work and was back home within an hour. Flooding and mud slides. He left about an hour later going north shore way and made it to work in about two hours. Janessa tried to get to class to take a final and could not get to the school, she could have walked through the water but did not want to go into an air conditioned building wet up to her waist. She found out today that her teacher cancelled the final. BYUH did not close, President Wheelwright said that the finals had to be taken because so many people were leaving for home. The question was how to get to the school? Janessa did come home and get in her swim suit and walked around town, and helped people and did a bit of beach cleanup. The boys downstairs got in their suits and went and helped sand bag.
I drove around to see if there was any way possible to get to BYUH. There was no way by car, or even by foot unless you were prepared to get wet. Every road that led to BYUH was flooded knee to waist deep. So if there is an evacuation HOW are we to get to the CAC? And if the water is so deep how can they open up the CAC? The roads to the temple were also flooded, but at least you could get somewhat close, much much closer than BYUH. So I am heading to temple hill if I ever need to. People were kayaking around, so I guess we should have a kayak. We have the two Kinghorn girls staying with us, until they can sleep in their house. There were two shelters set up one in the old gym at BYUH and the other at BYUH stake center. There have been so many emergencies since moving here, I have no extra blankets to take. Guess I will have to get new ones so I can give the old ones away next time. Or I can go to thrift stores and buy some and wash them up and have them on hand. But new for us sounds nice.
Here are a few pics, the ones of all the brown water were taken by Janessa's friends. The ones where you can see that the sun is shinning I took those today.
http://newsroom.byuh.edu/?q=node/2041
Love Ya, Mom

No comments:
Post a Comment